There are loads of great chili recipes out there, but they all seem to take hours to make. This baby is ready in about 35 minutes. It's an awesome (and fast) healthy dinner packed with protein and flavor. Because this recipe makes about 6 servings, it's great spread out as dinners throughout the week and can be frozen for everlasting chili.
PARTS - Chili
- 2 lbs of ground turkey
- 1 large (or two small) white onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large pepper, cored, deveined and chopped
OR 1/2 cup pickled jalapeños, drained, like Mrs. Renfro's
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- 1 28-ounce can (3 cups), diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 15-ounce cans of red kidney beans, drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
PARTS - Avocado Lime Crema
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup coarsley chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp lime juice (juice from about 1 medium lime)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
CLUES - Chili
1. In a large soup pot, heat 2 tbsp olive oil over high heat. Add the turkey meat, and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Use a spoon to break up chunks as it cooks.
2. Add the onions, garlic, pepper, jalapeño, oregano, chili powder, cumin and paprika. Stir well and cook for another 5 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes, chicken broth and S+P to taste. Bring it to a boil, and then reduce heat to a simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes.
4. Add the drained beans and cook, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes longer. Serve with cheddar cheese and avocado lime crema.
CLUES - Crema
1. Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
This is adapted from the NYT Cooking Archives.