have no fear! these pretzels are much easier to make than you might think. You'll need to set aside an hour to let the dough proof but other than that, it's a quick road to homemade soft pretzels.
I recommend using a stand mixer and a scale for the best results!
- 4g (1.5 tsp) active dry yeast
- 16g (4 tsp) granulated sugar
- 575g (about 4.5 cups) all purpose flour
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 30g (2 tbsp) melted butter (plus extra for brushing)
- 12g (1.5 tsp) honey
- flaky salt, like Maldon or pretzel salt
- baking soda for boiling
1. Combine 1.5 cups of warm water (about 110 degrees) with yeast and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Let it sit until foamy, about 10 minutes.
2. once foamy, add flour, salt, melted butter and honey to the bowl. Knead with the dough hook on medium speed until it's smooth and elastic. Take the dough out, sprinkle it with a little flour and knead it a few times on a clean surface. Spray the stand mixer bowl with pam or wipe it down with olive oil. Place dough back in greased bowl and cover it with plastic wrap. Let it proof in a warm environment for about an hour, or until it's doubled in size (it’ll take longer if it’s chilly out).
3. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cut, roll and shape dough into pretzels (or knots or sticks... YouTube is your best friend for ideas and how-tos here).
4. Bring a large pot of water to a steady boil, and add baking soda - about 10 cups of water for every 2/3 cup of baking soda. Bathe shaped pretzels in simmering baking soda water for 30 seconds each. Remove from the water with a slotted spoon, transfer to a baking sheet and sprinkle with flaky salt.
5. Bake pretzels for about 12-15 minutes, or until golden, flipping halfway through. Remove from oven and immediately brush with some extra melted butter. dip in spicy mustard or melted cheese and enjoy!